How to Prep and Then Plant Your Summer Blooming Bulbs.
In this podcast, you'll learn how to plan and prepare to plant your summer flowering bulbs, and then tips on how to get them in ground (or container).
What You'll Learn:
- Prepping tips and bulb needs.
- General rule-of-thumb planting tips and how-to's.
- Resources and links for more information.
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
How To Prep Before Planting Your Summer Blooming Bulbs
You should know (of find out):
- If your bulb likes full sun or partial to full shade
- What kind of soil your bulbs like, which is usually a well-draining soil with some organic matter
- How many bulbs you will plant together in groupings
- The general planting depth for the bulbs, and keep in mind how deep your mulch is to factor that into your planting depth
- And how much space it needs to grow into and will fill at maturity
How To Plant Your Summer Blooming Bulbs
Now, you should
- Dig each planting hole depth to three times the bulbs height OR 3-4 inches for smaller bulbs (ie Crocus) and 5-6 inches for larger bulbs (ie Daffodil or Allium).
- Then place your bulbs in the planting hole and backfill hole with soil you dug out.
- Lightly tap the soil firm and form a slight berm around the edge of the planting hole.
- If you have mulch, spread that over the berm and planting hole.
- Water each planting hole thoroughly.
If it says on the bulb packaging, make sure to follow those specific planting or care needs for each bulb, as these are general planting guidelines.
Summer Blooming Bulb Depth Examples
If you want specific planting depths and spacing numbers because you aren't comfortable planting them any other way, here they are for popular summer flowering bulbs:
- Calla Lily - 4 inches (10 cm) deep / 1 foot (30 cm) apart - Buy Calla Lily Bulbs
- Canna Lily - 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) deep and 1-2 feet (30-61 cm) apart - Buy Canna Lily Bulbs
- Crocosmia - 2 inches (5 cm) deep / 3 inches (7-8 cm) apart - Buy Crocosmia Bulbs
- Dahlia - 6-8 inches (15-20 cm) deep / 12-18 inches (30-46 cm) apart - Buy Dahlia Bulbs
- Gladiolus - 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) deep / 6 inches (15 cm) apart - Buy Gladious Bulbs
- Liatris - 2-3 inches (5-8 cm) deep / 12-15 inches (30-38 cm) apart - Buy Liatris Bulbs
And, if you have any specific questions on prepping and/or planting your summer blooming bulbs, we are here to help, so please email us.
Thanks for Listening!!!
That's all for this podcast episode! You can find other beginning gardener topics on our podcast page by clicking here or go to SpokenGarden.com and click on the "Listen" tab. Also find us on your favorite podcast platform and smart-speaker!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@spokengarden.com
- Share our show or follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Us Out:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us reach new listeners to help them in their gardens!
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.