How To Tell If A Plant is a Weed With 3 Quick Questions.
In this podcast, you'll learn three quick questions to ask yourself to know if a plant in your garden is a weed or not.
What You'll Learn:
- What a weed is.
- 3 quick and easy questions to ask yourself to know if a plant is a weed or not.
- Resources and links for more information.
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
How to Know if a Plant is a Weed
It's a really common question we get; is this plant a weed that's in my garden?
First we should say what a weed is.
A weed is any plant that you don't want in your garden and that you see as a potential pest that takes sun, nutrients, water, and space away from the plants you want in your garden. There are a couple of questions you can ask yourself and maybe others to find out if a plant fits the above description.
Here are 3 questions you can ask yourself:
- "Did I plant this plant in my garden? If you not, then it could be a weed"?
- Next, ask yourself "is this plant growing fast and spreading all over my garden where I don't want it to grow. If so, then this plant could be a weed.
- Lastly, ask yourself "Is this plant on the county or state noxious weed list"?
- There are county, state, provincial and even federal noxious weed organizations to help you identify and control different plants in your garden.
These three questions will get you thinking about that plant in question and how to control it in your garden, if need be.
Note: USDA Noxious Weed boards by state link: https://plants.usda.gov/java/noxComposite
- Ontario Ministry of Agriculture - Noxious Weeds List
And, if you have questions on weeding, we are here to help, so please email us.
Thanks for Listening!!!
That's all for this podcast episode! You can find other beginning gardener topics on our podcast page by clicking here or go to SpokenGarden.com and click on the "Listen" tab. Also find us on your favorite podcast platform and smart-speaker!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@spokengarden.com
- Share our show or follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Us Out:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us reach new listeners to help them in their gardens!
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.