Last Updated On: July 22nd, 2021
Listen to learn which 5 plants you can take summer stem cuttings from right now on this quick DIY Garden Minute podcast.
5 Plants You Can Propagate By Stem Cuttings This Summer
Summer is in full swing and you still have this urge to propagate plants, but you aren't sure which plants you can take cuttings from.
Well, here are 5 plants you can take stem cuttings from to create more beauty in your garden.
The plants are:
Tips For Taking Stem Cuttings
- Be sure to cut each stem cutting to at least 4 to 6 inches in length or longer, so you have enough of each stem to place under the soil and also enough above the soil with leaves to actively photosynthesize to help with roots grow.
- Remove most of the foliage (carefully) on the stem to leave bare stem at the base to plant in soil or place in water.
- Use a rooting hormone to ensure better results. We recommend Garden Safe's Take Root rooting hormone on Amazon to encourage new root growth and increase your overall success.
- Many cuttings will propagate easily in a jar of water.
More Plants to Take Stem Cuttings This Summer
- Autumn Joy Sedum (any time of year)
Watch our YouTube #Shorts video to hear Sean talk about where to take hydrangea stem cuttings
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
Caring for Fuchsia Hanging Baskets- (Our Quarantined Gardeners #78 YouTube Video)
You can find more specific seed sowing and growing information when you order our new book "The First-time Gardener: Growing Plants and Flowers" on Amazon, available now!
We have partnered with Eden Brothers to be able to give you 15% off your next purchase when you enter the coupon code "SPOKEN" at checkout.
Get your high-quality seeds fast from Eden Brothers.com.
If you aren't sure where to start learning about garden care, go to our Start Here page at spokengarden.com/start-here .
And, if you have questions about these or other plants, we are here to help, so please email us.
Thanks for Listening!!!
Also find us on your favorite podcast platform and smart speaker!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@spokengarden.com
- Share our show or follow us on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Us Out:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us reach new listeners to help them in their gardens!
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.