Last Updated On: July 31st, 2019
Learn Crocosmia care in this mini plant profile about the crocosmia in your garden so you can attract more pollinators and help them thrive year after year!
Don't let their striking, red or orange flowers or their sword-shaped foliage fool you.
Caring for Crocosmia plants, also known as Montbretia, is a lot easier than it looks.
With their ability to spread and multiply over time, they will create a nice blanket of tropical-looking leaves and blooms in your garden.
Learn quick care and planting tips for this gorgeous plant!
In "Crocosmia Care - A Mini Plant Profile" - DIY Garden Minute Ep. 92 - learn proper plant care and quick growing tips.
This episode is meant for any gardener who is looking for an introduction to growing and caring for Crocosmia.
Jump ahead to the section you need:
Because you want to know more about Crocosmia, check out this link to our crocosmia plant profile sheet!
If you're looking to add even more beautiful crocosmia varieties to your landscape or containers, or just in a hurry and need to get your summer-blooming crocosmia bulbs in the ground, Eden Brothers offers fast shipping and a great selection!
Plus, when you get to the Eden Brothers checkout, because we are affiliates (which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you which helps us run our website and podcast), use our special coupon code "SPOKEN" for an extra 15% off your order!!
Crocosmia adds a tropical layer and vibrancy to your garden with their striking, gorgeous flowers and sword-shaped foliage.
Crocosmia care facts:
- They're considered a perennial corm, a type of bulb.
- Related to freesia, Ixia, and Sparaxis.
- They have small blooms in orange, red, or yellow flowers
- They bloom during the summer.
- Sunset= Zones 5 to 24. USDA= Hardy to zones 6 to 9.
- They prefer full sun with some shade in the hottest zoned climates.
- They like well-draining, enriched soil.
- These plants need regular to moderate watering during growth and bloom times.
- Native to tropical and southern Africa.
- Crocosmia take a low to moderate level of maintenance with most maintenance happening after plants are done blooming and have died back to the ground.
- You can treat them like other bulbs like daffodils or tulips for after-care.
Now it's time to pick out more crocosmia to add to your landscape.
Crocosmia are so easy to grow! They are highly prized for their beautiful flower color and shape, along with their leaves and growth form.
These bulbs come in vibrant shades of red and orange!
One of the most popular variety of Crocosmia, 'Lucifer' will produce beautiful bright red... [More]
Crocosmias are a lesser - known beauty of the plant world - they technically aren't bulb... [More]
A warm, beautiful variety of Crocosmia, Emberglow will produce numerous orange, almost ... [More]
Or, if you need to shop for other garden plants for this summer, click here for the most up to date deals on plants, bulbs, and seeds best sellers on Amazon!
Crocosmia is a low maintenance, striking summer-flowering bulb for your garden.
Adored by many gardeners for their vibrant color, tropical-looking leaves, and form, they provide a unique look and texture to any garden.
This beautiful plant will multiply over time providing tons of food for the pollinators and visual appeal for you!
Now we want to hear from you!
Do you have any questions about crocosmia care that we didn't mention?
Let us know by leaving a quick comment below. Thanks!
That's all for this DIY garden minute episode!
You can find other one-minute topics on our podcast page at spokengarden.com/podcast
Find us on your favorite podcast platform and Alexa through MyPod or AnyPod!
Crocosmia Care References:
- South Africa Biodiversity Institute - Crocosmia aurea
- Hort.net - A brief history of Crocosmia
- Pacific Bulb Society - Crocosmia
And hey—before you head out—if you want to connect with us and subscribe to our newsletter go to Spoken Garden's free resource page!
We have FREE garden content we are so excited to give to you, like cheat sheets, plant profile sheets, etc!
Thanks for Listening!!!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@spokengarden.com
- Share our show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Out The Show:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us out!
- Subscribe on iTunes or Spotify.
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Learn Crocosmia care in this mini plant profile so you can attract more pollinators and help them thrive year after year!
Subscribe on iTunes
Crocosmia Care: A Mini Plant Profile
Learn how to properly care for Crocosmia to help them thrive in your garden.
What You'll Learn:
- Quick facts about our featured plant.
- Links to buy your own Crocosmia
- Links and videos for further resources or education.
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Summer Gardening Free Chapter of eBook!
- Crocosmia: A Gardener's Guide and Plant Profile
- How to Design and Build Your Own Pollinator Garden- Ep. 20
- How to Attract Pollinators to Your Garden Like a Boss!
- Garden Pollinators and Their Favorite Flowers - Ep. 14
Other Gardening Products Related To This Podcast You Might Not Have: