Fall pruning is a garden maintenance task that often gets overlooked. However, fall is the perfect time to prune (some) of your beautiful plants around your yard!
This episode is for those of you who need help pruning your garden, including what kind of cuts to make and how to get started.
The 4 most common fall pruning questions we hear will be addressed in this podcast, including:
What does it mean to prune a plant? Pruning involves removing parts of the plant to improve it's health, aesthetics, and form. There are 2 Types of pruning cuts: Thinning Cuts and Heading Cuts.
Why should you even care about fall pruning? There are 4 main reasons to prune a plant which will help improve the plant for years to come. Listen to this podcast to learn more!
Which specific plants should be pruned this fall? You should prune by specific species need. Don't prune everything in your garden. Listen to find out more.
What should you do with your fall pruning debris after you cut it? Cut debris can be put back into your garden for nutrients. You could even get really creative and use your debris as art.
Got Pruning Tools?
Check out our Best Pruning Shears post here to learn what makes a good pruning shear and what we recommend!
Check out our Best Loppers For Your Pruning Needs here to learn which loppers we use and recommend!
Want to Learn to Prune Like a Pro?
Subscribe to our Spoken Garden community and receive your FREE cheat sheet! Included in the cheat sheet for you: Tools you will need for proper pruning, different types of pruning cuts, steps to prune successfully, and pro-tips!
And hey—before you head out—if you want to connect with us and subscribe to our newsletter go to Spoken Garden's free resource page! We have FREE garden content we are so excited to give to you, like cheat sheets, plant profile sheets, etc! See you there!
Thanks for Listening!!
Share your thoughts:
Leave a note in the comment section below.
Leave comments/ suggestions at email@example.com or Spokengarden@gmail.com
To help out our show:
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Subscribe on iTunes
Learn how and why to prune your fall garden.
Fall Pruning Tips - Part 1:
"And That's Good to Know" Segment
All About Poinsettia's
What You'll Learn:
- What it means to prune in your garden or landscape.
- Why you should care about pruning.
- Specific trees and shrubs you should and should not prune this fall.
- After pruning in your garden, what to do with the limbs and sticks you cut.
- Advice for cutting back herbaceous perennials that have already died back, such as Hosta's, Day Lilies, and both English and Common Daisies.
- Background, uses, poisonous attributes and good indoor locations for Poinsettia's
Some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Best Pruning Shears For Any Gardener
- Best Loppers For Your Pruning Needs
- How to Best Prune Your Garden This Winter
- 7 Best Garden Tools for Your Winter Pruning Needs
- DIY Garden Minute, Ep. 2: Pruning vs. Dead-heading Revealed!
- Sunset.com for pruning cuts
- Go to WebMD or Mayo Clinic for more info about poinsettia's.