Last Updated On: January 23rd, 2020
Top 5 Garden Tech Trends for Sustainability in 2020
In this podcast, you'll learn the five top technology trends of 2020 related to sustainability.
What You'll Learn:
- 5 Trends to help you think more sustainable and eco friendly in the new year and beyond.
- Links and videos for further resources or education.
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
It's the New Year of 2020! We are starting a whole new decade and what better way to roll out your new year with our top 5 garden technology trends.
Here are our Top 5 Garden Technology Trends for you and your garden:
- Robots that mow your lawn. Yes, really! These have been around for a couple of years, but they are getting a lot better with a couple different options out there to choose from and from great companies. We would recommend the Husqavarna Automower 310. We haven't used it, but Husqvarna is a great company and I have used their backpack blower for over a decade with absolutely no problems.
- Smart Watering/Irrigation Controllers. These are watering or irrigation controllers you can install on your gardens watering system that you can then program and control from your smart phone in a app. You might have heard of Hunter or Rain-bird, but you should try Orbit's B-hyve Smart Indoor/Outdoor 6-station or zone WiFi Sprinkler Controller.
- Make sure you have a home wireless network set up to connect these to and you will be all set. More efficient watering and improved plant health will help you this next growing season.
- Solar Powered Weeding Robot. And Yes, robots are already here. First your lawn and now they can technically weed your garden bed for you. Created by roboticist Joe Jones – inventor of the Roomba – Franklin Robotics’ Solar Powered Weeding Robot called Tertill is designed to live in your garden and take care of the weeding, come rain or shine. You can find out more by going to Tertill.com. Pretty Cool, right!
- It literally has a small line-trimming nylon string that wacks the weed down to the ground. Since it always is in your garden moving around, the weeds stay small and eventually starved of energy because their leaves and stems keep getting wacked down to the ground.
- Motion Activated Animal Deterrents. It's based off a sprinkler watering system, but add a motion sensor and this only shoots water when an animal is where is shouldn't be in your garden or yard. Amazon has the best seller for this being the Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Sprinkler with day and night detection modes.
- PlantSnap App – New and improved. Not only will this app identify a huge diversity of plants by leaves and/or flowers, but it also will identify mushrooms, succulents, and now trees. Also you can connect with fellow plant and nature enthusiasts through the app and share your findings and interests. Really Cool! Every year it keeps getting better. Find it on Apple Apps Store or Google Play.
And there is your garden tech round up. Let us know if you have any additions you think should be a part of this list.
Thanks for Listening!!!
That's all for this DIY garden minute episode! You can find other one-minute topics on our podcast page at spokengarden.com/podcast or find us on your favorite podcast platform and Alexa!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@spokengarden.com
- Share our show or follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Out The Show:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us out!
- Subscribe on iTunes or Spotify.
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Learn about the Top 5 Garden Tech Trends for Sustainability to include in your garden to this year.