Last Updated On: January 29th, 2019
The act of mulching can enhance a plant's health and lengthen its longevity in your garden in so many ways.
For this reason alone, we want to educate you about the benefits of mulching so that you can take pride in your beautiful outdoor space.
Mulching is a crucial step in your garden maintenance plan.
What is Mulch?
Mulch is any material that is used for covering a garden bed area for the purpose of:
- Weed control
- Soil moisture retention
- Root protection from heat or cold
- Encouraging soil microorganisms
- Improving general soil health
- Improving soil drainage
- Reducing soil erosion
- Enhancing the aesthetics of your garden
- Provide protection from mechanical equipment
- Reducing soil compaction
Examples of Mulch Material:
- Shredded or chipped wood
- Tree leaves
- Newspaper pieces
Check Out These Resources:
- How to Mulch: 6 Basic Steps for Mulching Anytime of Year
- Top 7 Reasons Mulching Your Garden is Beneficial
- DIY Garden Minute Ep. 7: Mulching Basics Explained!
- DIY Garden Minute Ep. 8: Fall Mulching, Defined
Recommended Mulching Products:
Want to Learn to Prune Like a Pro?
Subscribe to our Spoken Garden community and receive your FREE cheat sheet! Included in the cheat sheet for you: Tools you will need for proper pruning, different types of pruning cuts, steps to prune successfully, and pro-tips!
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.