Last Updated On: March 5th, 2019
Growing organic seeds in your garden are not only beneficial but also environmentally responsible.
And we know you want to help the environment.
But, what do you really know about organic seeds and how can they benefit our food systems?
In this special interview with the Organic Seed Alliance, we talk about how organic seed advocacy can benefit local farmers, gardeners, and the public at large.
This episode is meant for any level of gardener who wants to:
- Learn more about how organic seeds are beneficial
- Learn how non-profits are advocating for organic seeds
- How to purchase organic seeds for their own garden.
Organic Seed Alliance: A Small Organization With Big Dreams
Here we interview two groups responsible for bringing awareness to the importance of food production and trying to further our understanding of how we need to think about our environment.
We met with Cara Loriz and Laurie McKenzie at the Finn River Cidery in Chimacum, Wa, where Organic Seed Alliance has a trial farm. Here they evaluate and collect different vegetable crops in the region to further organic seed education within local farming communities.
Their motto should be, "local advocacy for national change."
Listen to this episode to learn about how these ladies are advocating for change at both the local and national levels. Also, gain a better understanding of why growing organic and heirloom seeds is more sustainable and better for our gardens.
You can find the Show Notes below with the links mentioned in this episode!
Episodes Show Notes:
Here are a few highlights from our amazing interview:
- The value and importance of organic seeds
- How advocacy and education are benefitting local farmers
- Why their favorite vegetables to experiment with are carrots.
You can find out more about Cara and Laurie, and the Organic Seed Alliance.
And you can sign up for their newsletter at www.seedalliance.org/subscribe/
If you want to find organic seeds, go to https://stateoforganicseed.org/what-you-can-do/
And you can click on three different links to find organic seeds. They are:
Find other garden topics and episodes on our podcast page at spokengarden.com/podcast
You can find us on Instagram or Pinterest under @SpokenGarden.
Also, find us on your favorite podcast platform and now Alexa through MyPod or AnyPod!
See ya in the Garden!
And hey—before you head out—if you want to connect with us and subscribe to our newsletter go to Spoken Garden's free resource page!
We have FREE garden content we are so excited to give to you, like cheat sheets, plant profile sheets, etc! See you there!
Thanks for Listening!!!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@spokengarden.com
- Share our show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Out The Show:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us out!
- Subscribe on iTunes or Spotify.
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Subscribe on iTunes
Organic Seeds & Advocacy
Learn how the Organic Seed Alliance, a non-profit, is promoting the use of organic seeds through education and advocacy.
Mulching Cheat Sheet Guide from our Free Resources Library
What You'll Learn:
- The value and importance of using organic seeds.
- How advocacy and education benefit local farmers.
- How and where to buy organic seeds.
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- DIY Garden Minute Ep. 43: Proactive vs Reactive Garden Strategy, Explained!
- Ep. 21: Proactive Weed Control Strategies For Any Season
- Best Pruning Shears For Any Gardener!
- DIY Garden Minute Ep. 30: Understanding Basic Plant Growth