Last Updated On: February 27th, 2019
What is it about garden Roses that interests you the most?
Is it their beauty? Their delicate petals and colors?
For us, it is all of those things plus their extensive history.
Actually, the history of Roses and Rose cultivation is vast and often a bit confusing.
So vast, most Rosarians (gardeners specializing in Roses) agree that Roses can be divided into two groups depending on how long ago they were cultivated with 1867 as the demarcation line.
Those beauties cultivated before 1867 are called “Old Garden Roses.” Roses that were cultivated after that year are referred to as “Modern Garden Roses.” Oftentimes a third division is made for “Wild Roses.”
In our DIY Garden Minute Ep. 58 – “Types of Modern Roses,” we’ll explain the various types of Modern Roses and how their appearance differs from each other.
This episode is meant for any level of gardener who wants to learn about the different types of Modern Roses in their yard.
For our Rose Plant Profile, click here!
Variety of Roses
Roses are as diverse as they are beautiful.
Available in almost any color you can think of, Roses have been bred and cultivated for hundreds of years.
This particular group of Roses, the Modern Garden group, differ in many ways including:
- Flower size
- Number of flowers per stem
- Growth habit
- Pruning needs
These roses are as diverse as they are beautiful.
Types of Modern Roses
There are at least 8 different types of Modern Roses, maybe more.
Below is a list of the Roses featured in this podcast:
- Hybrid-Tea Rose are upright, narrow smaller Rose plants with single flowers on the end of each stem. Can be described as “aristocratic”. Can grow 2-6 feet tall.
- Grandi-Flora Roses are related to Hybrid Tea-Roses, but are taller reaching 8-10 feet tall.
- Floribunda Roses are related to and are smaller than Hybrid Tea-Roses both in flower size and height.
- Polyantha Roses are also related to Hybrid Tea-Roses and are compact plants no larger than 2-feet tall that produce small blossoms in large sprays.
- Miniature Roses closely resemble the Hybrid Tea and Floribunda Roses but only about 1-1.5 ft tall. Their flowers and foliage are proportional to their size difference to the hybrids and floribunda’s.
- Ground Cover Roses are very low growing Rose plants only getting 2 or so feet tall that spread 3 or more feet out.
- Shrub Roses are Rose plants specifically bread for a shrub form ranging in height and width due to many kinds to choose from and are bred to be planted with other landscape perennials that continuously flower over seasons.
- Climbing Roses are Rose bushes that simply produce long strong canes that grow upright and can be trained, and need to be attached or tied on a wall, arbor, or trellis.
For more information about Roses in general, check out Roses: A Gardener’s Guide and Plant Profile.
Roses For Sale
Whether you already have different kinds of Roses in your garden, or you are looking to purchase your first plant, we’ve gathered a selection of best-selling plants for you to choose from.
Modern Rose Accessories or Materials
Modern Roses Conclusion
By understanding and identifying your Roses, you can prolong their life for years of growth.
Whether Floribunda, Hybrid tea, Groundcover, or any of the other types of Modern Garden Roses, their history as a group began after 1867.
A beautiful addition to any garden, Modern Roses are economically significant and are as diverse as they are beautiful.
That’s all for this DIY garden minute episode!
You can find other one-minute topics on our podcast page at spokengarden.com/podcast
Find us on your favorite podcast platform and Alexa through MyPod or AnyPod!
And hey—before you head out—if you want to connect with us and subscribe to our newsletter go to Spoken Garden’s free resource page!
We have FREE garden content we are so excited to give to you, like cheat sheets, plant profile sheets, etc! See you there!
Thanks for Listening!!!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@spokengarden.com
- Share our show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Out The Show:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us out!
- Subscribe on iTunes or Spotify.
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Subscribe on iTunes
Types of Modern Roses
Learn about 8 different kinds of Modern Roses and how they differ from each other.
Rose Plant Profile Cheat Sheet in our free resource library.
What You’ll Learn:
- That Roses are broken into either Modern or Old Roses.
- How to identify differences between 8 different Modern Roses.
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Roses: A Gardener’s Guide and Plant Profile
- The Benefits of Rose Hips: DIY Garden Minute Ep. 56
- Pruning Basics Explained: Thinning Cuts vs. Heading Cuts – DIY Garden Minute Ep. 51
- Best Pruning Shears For Any Gardener!
- Understanding Basic Plant Growth – DIY Garden Minute Ep. 30
Other Gardening Products Related To This Podcast You Might Not Have:
- Best pruning shears
- Hand saw: folding or fixed
- Blower: hand-held or backpack, gas or electric
- Leaf Rake: metal or plastic
- Hard Rake: metal