Last Updated On: January 29th, 2019
Pruning is the removal of branches, stems, leaves, flowers, and other plant tissues in order to:
- Reduce or eliminate branches and stems that may be crossing or rubbing
- Eliminate dead or dying tissue, and
- To improve the aesthetic look of the plant.
A vital step in your garden maintenance plan should include general pruning.[convertkit form=5253351]
Types of Pruning Cuts
There are two types of pruning cuts you can make.
- Thinning Cuts: When you selectively cut single limbs or stems off a plant all the way back to its point of attachment. This doesn’t necessarily mean the whole limb; maybe just a section or branch. This type of pruning is best for most trees.
- Heading Cuts: When you selectively cut limbs or stems not at their point of attachment nor near other growth points. This type of pruning is best for compact and dense growing plants.
Check Out These Resources: